To see all content, you will need the current version of Adobe Flash Player.
Homepage Historical Association At the Museum U. S. Veterans Our Town Our Schools Sawmills Publications Contact
Welcome to the Granite Falls History and Transportation Museum. Once slated for destruction by its previous owner, the building is the second oldest home in Caldwell County. It dates back to the 1790's when Andrew Baird built it for his family next to the successful iron works he established at the granite falls on Gunpowder Creek. After the forge closed, the village he had built for his workers continued to grow. Known by different names over the years - Baird's Forge, Catawba View, Lovelady, Granite - the village became the Town of Granite Falls on May 3, 1899. Many different families called the historic building home over the years. As time took its toll, maintenance became expensive. The last owner sought permission from the Fire Department for the building to be burned. Recognizing the historic value of the home, the Town of Granite Falls purchased it in 2001 with the vision of turning it into a museum. The vision became reality with the help of a $335,000 grant from the North Carolina Department of Transportation. The Granite Falls History and Transportation Museum held its grand opening and ribbon cutting on January 18, 2007. This website will give you an overview of what we have to offer. We invite you to visit with us in person. Our hours are posted below.
Museum HoursSaturdays: 12 noon - 4 pmSundays: 2 pm - 4 pmSpecial tours by request. Call the town office at (828) 396-3131 for more information.
Click on the icon above to view the updated brochure.
LOOK WHAT'S NEW!Put curser over underlined items to go directly to the correct page.May - June 2017 NewsletterNational Day of PrayerBank of Granite ExhibitMuseum Brochure for Youth (click on .pdf icon)A Matchless Treasure: The Story of the Museum and the Historical Association (video)March - April 2017 Newsletter (click on .pdf icon)Photos from March Quilt ExhibitGranite Falls Historical Association Membership Registration
Bank of Granite Exhibit ExtendedMay 6, 2017 - August 20, 2017The Bank of Granite Exhibit has been extended through Sunday, August 20th*. Visitors will receive a free erasable board with the Bank of Granite logo while supplies last. Those who make a donation to the museum will receive a Christmas ornament with the Town of Granite Falls centennial logo while supplies last. The ornaments were provided by the Bank of Granite in 1999 to celebrate the Town's 100th birthday. We also have DVDs of the bank's 100th anniversary to give with a donation. The History Committee appreciates Community One and the Bank of Granite for donating the memorabilia to the museum. We will also have copies of The Granite Falls Press on display thru August 20th. They are available at other times by request. We plan to take down the exhibit on Tuesday, August 22nd after a private tour.
Click on the icon above to see the special brochure for youth.
http://www.magix.com http://www.magix.com http://www.magix.com http://www.magix.com http://www.magix.com
Granite Falls History and Transporation Museum
Located in the Historic Home of Andrew Baird
107 Falls AvenueGranite Falls, North Carolina 28630phone (828) 396-2792